Tuesday 19 April 2016

Zootopia (AKA Zootropolis)
Dir: Byron Howard, Jared Bush, Rich Moore
2016
*****
Zootopia, or Zootropolis as it is known in the UK, is nothing short of adorable, indeed, I absolutely adored it. I often have an issue with the humanization of animals in children's animation but that definitely isn't the case here. Zootopia strikes a wonderful balance in a mammalian utopia, a world where anthropomorphic animals (not humans) live together in harmony where the idea of predator and prey is ancient ideology. A lovely fantasy you may wonder but within the beautiful thought and the cute little animals lies a rather wonderful idea. 2015's Inside Out was a brilliant way for children to understand emotion and how the brain works, while Zootopia is the perfect lesson on prejudice, bias and stereotype. Fear not though adults, as this subject is explored within a gripping police story and isn't in the least bit emotionally manipulative. I have often asked and wondered why every child's film has to somehow teach a lesson but I have absolutely no objection here. It truly is the sort of film that both children and adults can enjoy alike. I watched it in a packed cinema with two kids to every adult and the only noise was laughter, with not one soul bored or distracted. The film is as wholesome as you'd expect and want for your child but it breaks new ground. The script is witty and fairly fast-paced, the funny bits are very funny and the animation is sublime. It comes as quite a relief when a film that tackles stereotype doesn't actually trip over itself, indeed, just as I thought I saw a stereotype on the horizon it flipped things round and surprised me. The characters are perfect, I have no doubt that Officer Judy Hopps and Nicholas P. Wilde are to be immortalized as cinemas next great screen duo. The relationship between Ginnifer Goodwin and Jason Bateman's characters is snappy, refreshing and quite lovely. I really don't have anything negative to say about this great little cartoon. I want more. It has everything anyone from any age-group could hope for from a movie. Adventure, laughter, intrigue, suspense, great characters, great animation, great story, great idea, originality and not a cliché in sight. I absolutely love this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment