Monday 30 June 2014

Violet & Daisy
Dir: Geoffrey S. Fletcher
2011
****
I judged Violet & Daisy too soon. Direction and story-wise, I thought it was going to be a Luc Besson wannabe but would ultimately feel like another poorly conceived Luc Besson Produced film. Meow. I was wrong, and I am ashamed for committing that crime I hate most; judging a film at a glance. Violet & Daisy doesn't just look good, but it has real depth to it. The script is punchy and clever. I overheard someone liken it to a Tarantino script but I would argue that QT's scripts are nothing more than audio pop-art, Geoffrey Fletcher's script has meaning, it's organic,  it evolves and dazzles just as much as the visuals do. This isn't a bubble-gum glorification of violence either, if anything it is actually the polar opposite and a pretty neat alternative. The performances are pretty strong too, with Alexis Bledel at personal best, Saoirse Ronan proving her worth and the late great James Gandolfini reminding us for one of the last times why we both love him and will miss him. Violet & Daisy is hugely misunderstood in my opinion, people are missing the parody somewhat. The endless comparisons to Tarantino's films are tiresome, like he ever came up with an original idea? I would suggest Violet & Daisy is for people who would agree with my last statement so if you would like a bit of salt on that popcorn for a change, give it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment