Tuesday 20 September 2016

Odd Thomas
Dir: Stephen Sommers
2013
****
Slated on release, Stephen Sommers' adaptation of Dean Koontz best seller deserves far more love than it was given. I can't help but think that 2012's John Dies at the End may well have marred its chances, being very similar to Koontz's book in the first place and then made into a film the year before. I would argue that it is far superior to John Dies at the End but I shall leave the comparisons there. Odd Thomas has a great tag-line - "I see dead people, but then, by God, I do something about it". Odd (his real name due to a typo on his birth certificate) sees dead people who generally visit him for assistance in catching those who were responsible for their deaths. It's not a new concept but I would argue that it is one of the better explorations of the idea, with the better characters and situations. It's a great mix of fantasy, horror, romance and thriller. Anton Yelchin is perfectly cast in the title role, the romantic relationship between he and his partner Stormy, played by Addison Timlin, is at the core of the film's success and is one of my favourite big screen relationships. The supporting cast are also very good, I loved that Willem Defoe played Wyatt Porter, the police chief that knows of Odd's powers and I think fans must have been happy with what Shuler Hensley did with Fungus Bob after all these years of speculation as to what the character would be like in a film adaptation.  The special effects are also rather impressive, mixing CGI monsters with old-school gory effects brilliantly. I don't think adaptations of the further Odd Thomas books were ever on the cards following this film's poor reception but I would have loved to have seen a series. Anton Yelchin will be best remembered for his role in Star Trek which is unfortunate in my opinion as he is brilliant in Odd Thomas, as well as other lesser known releases. A whole series with the star in the lead role would have been a dream come true, indeed the last scene that hints at it sent shivers down my spine. An overlooked gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment