Tuesday 11 April 2017

Ghost in the Shell
Dir: Rupert Sanders
2017
****
Rupert Sanders's adaption of the 1995 Manga classic is stunning and about as authentic as a live action version could be without sticking to the original movie. It received mixed reviews upon its release and was accused of all sorts of things, such as whitewashing and having a lack of character development, which makes me wonder whether I was watching the same film, as I thought it was fantastic. Those that never wanted a remake to their much loved Manga film need not apply for obvious reasons, but if you aren't an animation purist, then I think you may find yourself pleasantly surprised, but I would argue that you need to understand the original before laying down criticism, if the live action version isn't for you, then I'd guess neither is the 1995 version. The film follows the original as closely as it can, it adds its own flare but keeps everything that made the first so captivating. The special effects are some of the best I've ever seen, with loads of new stuff I have never seen before, in this respect it is like watching something ground-breaking. I've heard people mutter things about The Matrix and how this film copies it, by people who don't realize that The Matrix copied Ghost in the Shell, and I have to say, I was more impressed watching this film than I was watching The Matrix for the first time. It is the epitome of Manga, without the animation. I actually thought some of the imagery was more Manga than the original in places, a bold statement but I stand by it. The whitewashing nonsense makes no sense to me either, as many Manga characters were made to look more western to appeal to the west, so a dark-haired Scarlett Johansson was actually perfect for the role and no matter what you look like and where you are from, I can't think of anyone better suited to the role. I thought the development of her character was good, much better than the original. Typical Manga animations are somewhat detached, both in character and in story. They're also a little bit samey in that respect but I thought the vision of the future was absolutely spot on, in that it feels gravely unenthusiastic about the future, without being too dystopian. Underhand decisions are made by our politicians and by big business all the time without our knowing, the story sort of taps into this, in a 'everything seems fine on the outside' sort of way, even though you just know something isn't right. To me that is what every futuristic film should be like because it's true and it feels real. The film's tone reflected all of what the original did, a sense of dread, a feeling that technology was going too far and that an android-dominated culture had made people forget their responsibilities and worth. The characters are detached for a reason, they're left cold because they know the truth. The vision of the future in a pan-Asian metropolis is stunning and completely believable. It reminded me of Blade Runner in many respects but I won't call them out, as influences come from all over, starting with Metropolis, but I will say that Ghost in the Shell has done it better, second only to the aforementioned Ridley Scott classic. I thought the plot was best left simple, as it was in the original. Critics seem to be complaining that it wasn't complicated, but I'm not sure how that would have been an improvement. There was something new and exciting to behold every five minutes, from the Robot Geisha to the awesome performances. Scarlett Johansson was perfect and thought back in 1995 that Michael Pitt would be perfect as Hideo Kuze. Pilou Asbæk was great as Batou and looked more Manga than Manga, Chin Han finally gets a big film outing fit for his talents and I was thrilled to see Anamaria Marinca as Dr. Dahlin, an actor I've been following for a while and have thought needed more appreciation. Juliette Binoche made a good Dr. Ouelet, although I wasn't sure at first and it was great seeing Peter Ferdinando as Cutter, Hanka Robotics' CEO. The short but sweet appearance from Michael Wincott was immensely satisfying, but it was Takeshi Kitano's appearance as Chief Daisuke Aramaki that really got me excited. I thought it was a great choice for the main character but when it came for his special scene I was in proper fan-boy heaven. Beat rules. Rupert Sanders has made the most honest and authentic adaptation you could possibly make, if you don't like it, blame the original. I'm pleased he didn't mess around too much with the source material and change things, purely because other sci-fi films made since have used similar ideas. It's dark sci-fi, moody, depressing and melancholic but with beautiful cinematography, one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard, courtesy of the great Clint Mansell, and plenty of action for everyone who wants it, although as impressive as it is, it's never overcooked or overdone. Every scene counts, nothing is wasted. I had issue with some of the editing but apart from that, I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment