Friday 20 March 2015

Another Earth
Dir: Mike Cahill
2011
****
It was unfortunate that Another Earth was released at the same time as Melancholia. Both films are melancholy but both are very different films. Melancholia got all the publicity and Another Earth was unfortunately overlooked. Another Earth is rightly heralded as an Indie triumph by people who saw it. It had big ambitions and I think all of them have been exceeded. I love the idea and I thought the direction, script and general flow of the film was excellent. Some of the visuals were stunning, layered with scientific narration, they became thought-provoking and quite powerful. I'm all for indie films and I'm all for originality, this film has both in spades. I'm not sure about the final scene, I know it spoiled the whole film for some, but overall I thought this film was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment