Tuesday 12 January 2016

Diana
Dir: Oliver Hirschbiegel
2013
*
Without a doubt one of the most painful films I've ever sat through. The media ripped it to shreds and I don't think I've heard anyone say anything positive about it and for good reason. I had wondered whether the negatives were purely due to the fact it was about Diana Spencer, a now untouchable enigma, who the media and public alike won’t have a bad word said against. I'm no great fan of the Royals, no one is perfect, Diana certainly wasn't but I believe she was treated appallingly by the Monarchy but I digress...she was the most famous woman in the world, it's no surprise a film was made about her. Actually, it's surprising that no one had made a film about her before but that only backs up my theory, she's an untouchable icon in some respect. I digress once more. I find it staggering that this film was made by the same Oliver Hirschbiegel that directed 2004's Downfall. There is absolutely nothing interesting about this film visually, it looks and feels like a cheap TV drama, made in a hurry. Naomi Watts looks like Diana on the posters but less so in the film, she almost gets her voice right but ultimately she's unconvincing. I don't know much about Dr Hasnat Khan but I find it hard to believe he was the thirteen-year old boy in a man's body as he comes across as in the film, I'm a fan of Naveen Andrews but I'm puzzled as to why he or indeed Watts would want to be involved in something like this. I can only imagine they thought that this would enjoy the same success that Stephen Frears 2006 film The Queen enjoyed but surely they read the script? Diana's script is probably the worst I have ever heard. If you had watched my Wife and I watch Diana without sound, you could have been forgiven for thinking we were watching an amputation or a party political broadcast. The film is devoid of emotion, realism and intrigue, and absolutely nothing comes close to making up for it. I can't think of one redeemable feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment