Wednesday 27 January 2016

Minions
Dir: Pierre Coffin, Kyle Balda
2015
***
I enjoyed Despicable Me and its sequel but much like everyone else, I enjoyed the Minions the most. I said from the very first Ice Age movie that Scrat should have his own feature length feature and yet they still keep churning out sequel after sequel with a very obvious decline in quality. Despicable Me 2 wasn't quite as good as the original, it wasn't as fresh or funny (not to mention fluffy). So when it was announced that Despicable Me 3 was in fact going to be a Minions movie, I quietly rejoiced. However, by the time the Minions movie was released I couldn't have been sicker of the sight of them. Minion mania got big and tiresome pretty damn quickly. Essentially, Minions the movie came two years too late. It's not a bad film though, quite the opposite, it's a fun adventure that will appeal to all ages but it really isn't anything new. I'm afraid Illumination Entertainment and Universal Pictures marketing was overkill. It is more of the same, without the bits people really didn't care for. I'm not sure the big name voice actors (Sandra Bullock, Steve Coogan, Michael Keaton) really lend anything special to it either. It's funny but I can't say it ever made me laugh out loud. I exhaled heavily from my nose a couple of times but that was about it. I give it three very healthy stars out of five but there is very little chance that I will ever sit down and watch it ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment