Friday 8 January 2016

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
Dir: Felix Herngren
2013
****
Jonas Jonasson's comic novel The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared was a huge hit. I read it in 2012 when it was first published in English, as did everyone I got on the train to work with it seemed. I thoroughly enjoyed it, it is original, compelling, ridiculously inventive and also very funny. Once I read a good book, and being a cinephile, I often ponder what the film adaptation might be like but dismissed The Hundred-Year-Old Man as pretty much unfilmable. Weeks later I read that the film was coming out the following year and I worried that so much would be changed or left out that it couldn't possibly live up to the high standard of the novel. A minute worrying is a minute wasted, director Felix Herngren and co did a great job. Inevitably, there are parts of the story missing, regrettably most of my personal favourite parts (all featuring Albert Einstein's less intelligent brother Herbert) but it worked for the film advantage. I thought the cast were brilliant, Swedish comedian Robert Gustafsson being perfect in the lead role. My only criticism is that it could have easily have been a two-parter, with more of the book explored in detail but then again, so much of it would be hard to film. It is as bizarre and hilarious as the bestselling novel and it was a joy to see the character brought to life, I whole-heartedly recommend but as always, you should always read the book first for optimal enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment