Thursday 3 September 2015

Chinese Vampire Story (AKA Mr. Vampire 5, Xin jiang shi xian sheng)
Dir: Ricky Lau
1992
***
Easily one of the most bizarre films I've ever seen. It's classed as a Kung Fu film but there isn't that much Kung Fu action. It's more of an odd comedy horror really, although it's not very funny and isn't at all scary. I can only imagine it's a case of being something that the Chinese understand, based on folk-law etc but it doesn't really translate well to the rest of the world. I'd imagine that the Chinese probably wouldn't get the English Carry On films either, for want of another comparison. I did enjoy it though, even though I have no idea what the hell it was all about. The stretchy Penis scene was a bit too much for me though. You really need to see it to believe it, I totally understand why it's considered a bit of a cult movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment