Tuesday 29 September 2015

The Escapist
Dir: Rupert Wyatt
2008
***
Rupert Wyatt's prison escape movie, The Escapist, is a somewhat familiar addition to the sub-genre but is well rounded and entertaining throughout. My biggest gripes our the performances from Damian Lewis and Steven Mackintosh, two actors I'm afriad I don't have much time for. For me they really let the film down with their cartoonish performances in what should have been a serious film. The rest of the cast are brilliant, Brian Cox is thrilling in the lead role and Joseph Fiennes, Liam Cunningham, Seu Jorge and Dominic Cooper lend brilliant support. I'm still not sold on the ending or indeed the overall structure of the film but it is something original and that's important in a film of this genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment