Friday 25 July 2014



First Men in the Moon
Dir: Nathan Juran
1964
*****
Nathan Juran's 1964 First Men in the Moon is a glorious film from yesteryear that I love for so many different reasons. I love Sci-fi and Space movies, I've been an avid reader of H.G. Welles since I was a young boy and throw in what I believe are arguably some of Ray Harryhausen's greatest special effects and everybody's favorite Grandpa Lionel Jeffries, and I'm not sure anyone could resist. The science is nonsense but the idea is sound. The beginning sequence was so brilliantly handled and so professionally done, the 'Floating paint' soon becomes something quite unimportant. Not only is this a rather brilliant foresight into Space travel, it is also a very wise cautionary tale for society in general. No First Men in the Moon, no Star Trek nor Wars. Nor would there have been the John Carter books that also inspired almost everything that has come since. It's a great family adventure film which is pretty much ageless, it's funny, intelligent and thoroughly British. Who else could make something so brilliant, silly and fun?


No comments:

Post a Comment