Wednesday 9 July 2014

Oranges and Sunshine
Dir: Jim Loach
2010
****
Oranges & Sunshine is a very impressive debut feature. It looks like it runs in the family as Jim Loach seems to be a chip off the old block. I very glad to hear it too, although this film isn't in the same style as one of his fathers, it's as good as one of his and it has the heart of one. I don't think I've ever seen a bad Emily Watson performance, here she cements herself in being one of my all time favourite actresses and for good measure she is surrounded by a competent cast. I did know of the story and its eventual conclusion; the apology from the British government a few years ago, but that doesn't stop the climax and the minutes leading to it from being some of the most tense and thrilling in resent years. In fact, the last film that gave me tingles like this was Route Irish - Ken Loach's last film! With two Loachs working today, cinema just got that little bit better!

No comments:

Post a Comment