Thursday 21 August 2014

In the Electric Mist
Dir: Bertrand Tavernier
2009
***
A Ghostly and somewhat surreal tale that I can see probably worked well as a novel but maybe not so much as a film. There are plenty of elements that I enjoyed but each scene, as good as they were, never really seemed to gel together in telling the same story. It's this lack of structure, or directional guidance, that misleads the viewer into a false sense of understanding. This isn't in order to be original either, I'm fine with a film being genre free, I just find it hard to watch a film that incorporates a hundred different genres without executing one adequately. I think pretty much everyone in the film is miscast too but I did genuinely love the idea, the mystery and the script. I'll just have to read the book Dave Robicheaux books.

No comments:

Post a Comment