Tuesday 26 August 2014

Take This Waltz
Dir: Sarah Polley
2011
****
It's only now that I've realised that it's that Sarah Polley who directed both this and Away from Her and starred in Go and Dawn of the Dead. I like her acting but I'm liking her behind the camera work more so, her direction in Take this Waltz is impressive to say the least. At first I wondered if it was style over content, there is only so much you can appreciate the props and sets (the wife and I gushed somewhat over the house used in the film). It's safe to say that I wasn't liking a lot of what was going on during the best part of the film, I really didn't like where it was going and I felt quite frustrated watching it. That is why the last 20 minutes has the impact it does. I've always said, a film can really redeem itself in the last few scenes if done well and this is a perfect example of that. I thought it was original and clever, never predictable and wholly satisfying. Seth Rogen deserves credit for his performance and it's safe to say Michelle Williams is my favourite actress working today, her turn in this is a good example of why, she goes from strength to strength. One of my favourite of 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment