Thursday 14 August 2014

Women in Love
Dir: Ken Russell
1969
*****
Ken Russell really was a one off. He threw the rule book out the window when he adapted Women in Love from D. H. Lawrence's classic novel. Although it's set in the 1920's there is very much a late 60's feel about it, it's not dated as such but it's very much of its time. I think this film is unfortunately remembered for all the wrong reasons though and by that I mean remembered for all the wrong scenes - namely the nude wrestling scene. It's not a bad scene but there are other great, maybe even more important scenes with amazing performances and cinematography. The script is killer and the entire cast is astonishingly good and yet unsurprisingly so. Regarded as a classic, yet so few people seem to have seen it, I'm not sure why I left it so long myself either. Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment