Monday 14 September 2015

Another Year
Dir: Mike Leigh
2010
*****
Critics were fast to declare that once again, Mike Leigh has produced another kitchen-sink drama in which nothing happens. He seems to be a bit of love/hate director, or at least one minute the press love him, the next they don't. I think to simply say nothing happens in Another year is slightly unfair though as quite a lot happens really, it's just that nothing that happens is particularly extraordinary. That's kind of the point though, it is Another year. What is extraordinary is the fantastic writing and directing talents of Mike Leigh and the brilliant performances by his highly competent cast. The film does cover a lot of emotional ground and most of it deals with unhappy people in unhappy situations but I wouldn't go as far as saying this is a particularly depressing film, far from it, I found it to be quite uplifting (It certainly didn't make me want to slit my wrists as I have read in a review on imdb). It is frustrating to see a great director like Leigh constantly misunderstood. It's all about how we deal with difficult situations that's important and that is where Leigh's focus is. I found its harsh reality checks and melancholy pace create the perfect balance, and for all the miserable articles that are written about this film, well, I found myself laughing more than I did crying and I haven't killed myself yet. Treat yourself and support independent and intelligent cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment