Tuesday 29 September 2015

Babylon A.D.
Dir: Mathieu Kassovitz
2008
***
Mathieu Kassovitz's adaption of Maurice Georges Dantec's 1999 novel Babylon Babies is an odd, disjointed and puzzling production that is now famous for the various problems it encountered in getting to the screen and unfortunately, many of those issues are obvious when watching the film. However, I think that's what I liked about it. The script doesn't really work, the editing is irritating and it's not always a comfortable watch but there is something irresistible about it. It's got 'cult' written all over it with a healthy measure of 'guilty pleasure' thrown in for good measure. I can't believe they cut 70 minutes out of the finished film, although I can believe 70 minutes was cut out of it, as it clearly has something missing. Maybe one day we'll see an uncut version, although no one other than me thought the film had any merit. Personally I was full of intrigue, it was just short of a decent script and a couple of stand out scenes. Unfairly overlooked in my opinion, I do wonder if people will look at it differently in 20 years time.

No comments:

Post a Comment