Tuesday 11 March 2014

The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (AKA Bachelor Knight)
Dir: Irving Reis
1947
****
As situation comedies go this story feels uncomfortably unfortunate in this day and age but then it just highlights the beauty of innocence of a bygone era. I love the subtle special effects of Cary Grant turning into a sparkling Knight whenever we saw him through Shirley Temple's eyes, modern film makers should take note of these subtleties. The relationships never really convincing but the performances are, Temple and Grant play off each other brilliantly and I particularly enjoyed Rudy Vallee's (Lord Marmaduke Ffogg Batfans) part of Tommy, a fellow student who tries to compete for Temples affection. I have to confess I had to look up the work Bobby-Soxer on the internet. It's a little misleading but a great film deserves a catchy name I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment