Thursday 19 February 2015




Enter the Void
Dir: Gaspar Noé
2010
*****
Wow. So that was what all the fuss was about! I have to confess, I watched it late on Saturday night after drinking a little too much wine. I made notes though, like I sometimes do in order to remember the things I want to mention in my reviews. I'm not sure I could say it better sober, so here's what I wrote: 

"It's about life/death in a place that seems devoid of consciousness but also full of consciousness. F**k liner narrative, who needs it. I'm glad I'm drunk. Doesn't matter though, this is art, it will find you if you want it to. Simple. This film is sobering me up and making me more drunk. Provocative! The birth of death? Best example of digital stuff. Determination & dedication. This is a project! Disturbing, amazing, hard to ignore. A good kick in the balls. Maybe it's because I'm drunk that I'm not insulted. 5/5 for balls and/or insanity. 'This is who I am' Wonderful wrongness - ridiculous & wonderful" 

It's probably my best review yet. I can't decide whether Gaspar Noe should direct every film from now on or if I should drink heavily before watching every film from now on. 
On the serious side though, I actually watched it again sober (and slightly hung-over). Considering it's supposed to be like a drug trip, maybe it was best to watch drunk. I think I enjoyed the drunk version most but I appreciated the sober one more so. I think this is a very rare example of you either love it or hate it but actually, you can love and hate it at the same time. Maybe I need to watch it upside down or underwater next to get more of a scope but I think I loved it. Gaspar Noe impressed me so much with the controversial Irreversible, I can't help but think this is more masterpiece than 'mad man at work'. He's certainly a director in a league of his own. 5 stars from me but that's not necessarily a recommendation. You'd better watch it and make you own mind up!




No comments:

Post a Comment