Friday 20 February 2015

Rabbit Hole
Dir: John Cameron Mitchell
2010
****
Rabbit Hole tackles a difficult subject to make a film about, the grief suffered after loosing a child. It may have been based on a Pulitzer Prize-winning play but that is no guarantee that it was ever going to work on film, so hats off to the director and actors. John Cameron Mitchell isn't such a one-trick pony after all which is nice to see, no ego's here, he gave the story the respect and care it deserved and all credit to him It begs the question, why has he only made 3 films so far? The acting is also of a very high standard, Eckhart and Wiest are on good form as always, as is Kidman but I have to say, she is a love/hate actor for me and since Margot at the Wedding I've really struggled to enjoy her films. I digress, good performance, not worthy of all the award nominations I didn't think but good none the less. It was Miles Teller's subtle but poignant performance that really impressed me though, his characters involvement in the story really gave the film its edge and really sets it apart from some of its 'Independent' contemporaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment