Thursday 19 February 2015

The Loved Ones
Dir: Sean Byrne
2009
***
The Loved Ones isn't immediately likable, in fact, I found myself annoyed at all the classic horror 'nods' (influences/rip offs) and wondered if I cared enough to stay up late to keep watching. I'm a little tired this morning but I'm glad I did. The Loved Ones definitely grows on you, it has a disjointed charm about it - I'm not sure if this is a serendipitous bonus due to it being very similar to the films that have been an obvious influence to director Sean Byrne or not but the fact that the film is shot so beautifully makes me think it stands on its own merit. Sean Byrne has thought about every single shot, all are composed beautifully and all add that certain Je ne sais quoi a horror film needs to be a success - or to at least stand out against the rest. The sub-plot seems unnecessary but there was something about it I quite liked. Robin McLeavy was great in her role and I look forward to seeing more from Byrne, so far he's keeping the tradition that pretty much all Aussie horror films are ace.

No comments:

Post a Comment