Wednesday 8 October 2014

1984 (Nineteen Eighty Four)
Dir: Michael Radford
1984
***
Adapting the greatest novel ever written was always going to be a tough job but Michael Radford did pretty well in visualising Orwell's vision of the future (which was actually the present day when the film was made). I thought the props were spot on and the grimy brutalist architecture was exactly as I'd pictured it when reading the book. John Hurt was perfect in the role of Winston as was Richard Burton as O'Brian. My only gripe, and it's pretty much ruined the film for me, is that they left out so much of the good stuff that they could have filmed. To change the ending and to leave out the final act of the book was crazy and stupid and still annoys me just thinking about it. Remember though Kids, always read the book first, especially in the case of 1984. I think it's time for a new version, but who would dare I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment