Monday 6 October 2014

Chasing Amy
Dir: Kevin Smith
1997
***
Chasing Amy is a heartfelt, original and interesting story, Joey Lauren Adams is very good in the lead role and Kevin Smith really did make a huge impact into the world of independent film making that deserves recognition. However, apart from Joey Lauren Adams and a comedic turn from Dwight Ewell, the acting is pretty average, the writing is patchy and it's not filmed particularly well. I think Kevin Smith progressed with this film by learning from the many mistakes he made here, his follow up film Dogma being the proof. I do like its 90s feel though, makes me feel very nostalgic of the era that I loved but the fact I didn't see it back then and waited until now probably effects my judgement also. Not bad but really not the intellectual masterpiece its hype would have you believe, more like a European film for middle-American teenagers who don't watch European films.

No comments:

Post a Comment