Thursday 2 October 2014

35 Shots of Rum
Dir: Claire Denis
2008
***
I can see the similarities to that of the work of Ozu and I understand that nearly every detail, no matter how simple, is actually meaningful and symbolic, it just didn't have enough intensity for me. The scene with the dead body was brilliant and I know it would have been a different film had that been the only thing it was out to achieve, but I guess I would have just rather had watched that other film. I do like Claire Denis, I just think directors like Nuri Bilge Ceylan convey these kinds of concepts in a better, more entertaining manner. It's still no way a bad film, I did really like it and I'm a fan of hers, I guess that's maybe why I'm a little more critical. Had it had a more appealing cast, maybe I would have liked it more but again, it probably would have distracted from its main purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment