Wednesday 1 April 2015

The Ghost Writer
Dir: Roman Polanski
2010
****
The original title of the film and also the correct title of the book on which it is based is 'The Ghost'. The Ghost writer doesn't work as a title as the film isn't just about the Ghost Writer but also the Ghost of his predecessor. I find it quite frustrating really that the producers felt the need to change it. Maybe they thought that the audience would walk out after 30 mins having not seen a hint of a single floating bed-sheet or creaky floorboard, heard a slamming door or seen floating kitchen implements. It's also set on a ghostly island, the Ghost Writer himself, played by Ewan McGregor (sporting a horrible English accent), is alone, he moves around like a ghost. Without wanting to spoil it for anyone interested, this film is full of ghosts. It just bugs me that the audience is treated as idiots when it is the production team that generally don't have the brains to understand simple concepts. I suppose it bothered me the most because it is the title and the ideas that it conjures up that are integral to the story. As for the film itself, it's suitably creepy in its suspense and slightly disjointed in the way it's filmed but brilliantly so. I like to think this was all intentional though and after seeing a few Polanski films I believe it is. He's a great director and this is a great film, my only criticism is that they got London a bit wrong and both the accents and the acting aren't great, although I thought it was cast well. I adored the ending the most, dark and refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment