Friday 21 March 2014

Hit So Hard
Dir: P. David Ebersole
2011
***
I'm a 90's kids, it's the year I discovered all those lovely things like Sex, drugs and rock and roll. I was into the grunge scene, I had a very large baggy jumper (with holes), a curtain haircut (with undercut! oh yeah!) and a love of music that was far from lovely. I grew out of it like everyone else but I can still listen to Nirvana and think, yeah, that was a good time. Anyway, it was nice to see a documentary of a time I often struggle to remember, some of the unseen before now footage was a real treat. However, while watching I remembered something quite important. I loved the music but I didn't like the people. Kurt Cobain, Courtney Love, Kristen Pfaff etc, none of them were ever my idols, I just liked their music. As the documentary went on, I increasingly felt little emotion for any of them and came to the conclusion that none of them are very nice people or are worthy of praise. That probably sounds a little harsh but there are countless great bands that didn't make it but not through pissing their chances up the wall. Interesting to a point. The editing and narrative are fairly terrible too but thanks for the nostalgia trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment