Tuesday 18 March 2014

Last Night
Dir: Don McKellar
1998
***
A charming film about a group of people dealing with an impending apocalypse. No special effects, no tidal waves or earth quakes, just people and how they choose to live their last few hours on earth. It's a nice idea, well written and nicely performed. It's good. Good is good but it deserves better. While I like the concept and a few of the ideas it raised, I don't think Don McKellar made the most of the situation. This was never intended as a big piece, it's better that it's not but there were so many missed opportunities, pointless sub-plots and things that just didn't warrant inclusion in the final cut. It's not without its special scenes, the final one certainly wasn't a disappointment and the points made about fear, routine, regret and loss of identity were very well handled but I'm afraid it still comes across as a low fat Jarmusch. I feel bad for saying that because I did like it, I just really wanted it to be better than it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment