Monday 15 September 2014

Cyrus
Dir: Jay Duplass, Mark Duplass
2010
****
Cyrus's post-production is totally misleading. I'm guessing many people were disappointed that instead of getting a low-brow dumb comedy they actually got something tender and quite lovely. It's more drama than comedy, it's that cringe factor that confuses the mind that it is something funny when really it's just uncomfortably odd. Not laugh out loud funny just an oddity one can enjoy or not as the case may be. I found it to be a very pleasant surprise, as I was expecting a stupid Step-Brothers type comedy, with very few laughs. I may not have got the laughs but I thought it was brilliant writing. How a film can have a grown up man boy as the central character and still be really romantic is down to the good script and good performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment