Friday 26 September 2014

Fido
Dir: Andrew Currie
2006
****
I can't help but think that the poster puts off people, it's a little misleading. It's been on my radar for some time now but only because I was curious to see what Billy Connolly looked like as a Zombie. Well, I was very pleasantly surprised, Fido exceeded my expectations enormously. It's originality within the genre is commendable, it's a zombie film that is nothing like a zombie film but isn't a cheap shot comedy either. It asks whimsical social questions, turns things around and looks at things from another angle. The pleasant looking but often deeply disturbing 1950's wholesome little town was a perfect setting. I don't think anyone tried too hard to make a statement here but I think there is an element of serendipity at work, at the very least they've made an uniquely funny film that deserves a little more love. Sack the Post-production team though!

No comments:

Post a Comment