Tuesday 23 September 2014

Death Proof
Dir: Quentin Tarantino
2007
****
I just want to start this review by saying I sometimes really hate Tarantino. He thieves others ideas and claims them to be his own. His ego is as big as his forehead and if he went fishing he would probably cast himself. I really hate his cameos in his own films, he can't act to save his life and sometimes he can be a real Hitch cock.
I also hate the way people act in his films now. Ever since the scene in the cafe at the beginning of Reservoir Dogs, everyone in his films acts the same and they read out his scripts like he would, even though no one else sounds as desperately manic as he does.

So...I was quite surprised when I watched Death Proof and found that I loved it. It had the feeling of the 70's exploitation film about it that he sought after, as much as he annoys me, he knows his stuff and knows how to build on ideas. Death Proof turns out to be everything Jackie Brown wasn't. I liked the calm scenes in between the action, in fact, I preferred them. If the two films Vanishing point and Maniac had sex, Death proof would be their child.
I really wanted to hate this one but I have to admit, I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment