Monday 15 September 2014

Carnage
Dir: Roman Polanski
2011
**
Carnage isn't half as witty or clever as it thinks it is. It's melodramatic, white 50 something (starring 40 somethings) middle-class rubbish. It's mildly amusing but the 'it's funny cos it's true' aspect doesn't ring true here at all because it's not that funny and not that true. The idea is basic, the story is basic, it's based on a theatrical play with only 4 actors, I get that side of the 'basics', but I'm afraid I just found the intelligence and comedy just that little too 'basic' as well. I'm glad the Hamster survived though. I expect more from Polanski but the performances were good considering. If there is anything worse than the worst of Woody Allen, it's people attempting to be like Woody Allen.

No comments:

Post a Comment