Wednesday 3 September 2014

Dom Hemingway
Dir: Richard Shepard
2013
***
I think I wanted to like Dom Hemingway more than I actually liked Dom Hemingway. It doesn't have the danger of Bronson, it doesn't have the guts of Filth, it doesn't achieve the balance of funny and serious like Chopper does and Jude Law's performance probably isn't going to be the one he's fondly remembered for in years to come. It should be all of those things but I still liked it. I like Jude Law and I like Richard E. Grant, it looks like they were having fun and I liked watching them have fun. The script is hit and miss, when it was bad it was very bad but when it was good it was awesome. I guess it lacks a certain consistency, the brilliant scenes weren't made any more impressive by the lesser scenes and vice versa. It's never going to be the iconic film I think Richard Shepard and co hoped it could, it's a good film but I don't think a range of cult merchandise will appear anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment