Monday 24 February 2014

American Pie
Dir: Paul Weitz
1999
*
Is the image of a young Man having sex with an Apple Pie really that funny? Really? The 'Uncut' version of the film cuts to the chase of what the franchise was really all about, graphic titillation. I was a 13 year old Boy once, I get it and I was lucky, I grew up in the 80s. The 80s had a plethora of films aimed at horny young men looking to get lucky. Most were funny at the time, forgetful, not great on reflection etc. Although it seemed a lot more innocent, nudity was at a minimum, suggestion was key. So I find it strange that American Pie is still held in high regard. It wasn't great when it came out, it certainly wasn't very funny or clever and actually, it's quite a grubby little embarrassment. "But, but, but, why then, Mr Crocodile, did it have seven sequels, if it's just a grubby little embarrassment, huh, huh?" - because people are stupid my friends, people is stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment