Friday 28 February 2014

Nim's Island
Dir: Jennifer Flackett
2008
*
I quite liked the idea of the story and indeed the film started so well with the lovely animated introduction but just seemed to go down-hill from there. Everything was overdone. If it was a cake it would be a cup cake with wedding cake sized icing, sickly, hard to swallow and with very little content. Abigail Breslin was fine, Gerard Butler was quite good in his double role but the supporting cast of exaggerated stereotypes where tiresome and Jodie Foster's performance is probably among the worst I've ever seen. Her attempts at physical comedy made me want to throw things at my television and shout bad words. Not what you want from a 'Family film'. I think the directors (always be weary when there is more than one) had great intentions initially, they just got lazy and went all Hollywood. I'm surprised this got a cinema release and didn't go straight to video.

No comments:

Post a Comment