Wednesday 14 May 2014

Now is Good
Dir: Ol Parker
2012
**
I have quite a few issues with Now is Good. I ask myself yet again, why not cast a British actress in a British film? (there are quite a few around) and what was going on with the locations? London, Brighton, Dover...make you're mind up, where are we? It's not just the audience who don't know where they are it seems though, most of the characters are unbelievable but some, such as Olivia Williams's scatty Mother, were just plain cartoonish. The acting is not of the best quality and it really should have been considering the subject matter. Paddy Considine just about comes through unscathed but I'm not sure it's done him any career favours. Worst of all the casting is Jeremy Irvine. He is as wooden as a tree and was obviously cast for his looks, a huge mistake in my opinion as he looks like a brat. The story is actually quite good, it just hasn't been made into a particularly good film. All attempts at emotional manipulation (I cried, therefore it's good) fail miserably towards the end, you're glad it's over by the time you should be reaching for the tissues.

No comments:

Post a Comment