Wednesday 14 May 2014

The Intouchables (AKA Untouchable)
Dir: Olivier Nakache, Éric Toledano
2011
****
Firstly, I will refer to the films original title, not least because Intouchable/s isn't a real word but I don't live in America, so I don't have to and refuse to use nonsense words. Two films can have the same title for goodness sake, there is no need to make up nonsense words and pass them off as real. Bloody producers. Anyway, Untouchable is a tender yet exaggerated tear-jerker/feel good film based on a true story. Never let fact get in the way of a good story though, the real Driss isn't even black but no matter, ultimately the heart of the film is true. I don't see it as a Driving Miss Daisy rip off or a statement on class and I don't have a problem with its predictability, I simply see it as a sweet story of a friendship between two men. Sentimental but never manipulative.

No comments:

Post a Comment