Friday 25 April 2014

The Arrival of Wang (L'arrivo di Wang)
Dir: Antonio Manetti, Marco Manetti
2011
***
I'll be honest, I'm a sucker for a title that makes me laugh and The Arrival of Wang made me laugh like a child when I first heard of it. Usually the rule is that funny names = crap reality. Ales, bands, books, films... if it has a funny name, it generally disappoints but thankfully not here. The low budget is noticeable but it probably worked in their favour as I think you get more from it this way and it isn't unnecessarily complicated and it doesn't have unnecessary special effects. The idea itself is very clever and refreshingly original. It's no masterpiece for sure, but it is nice to see good ideas breakthrough past the big boys. I enjoyed it and I recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment