Wednesday 23 April 2014

Genevieve
Dir: Henry Cornelius
1953
***
I'm a big fan of Car races and Car chases films of the 50's/60's/70's. The Great Race, The Great Chase, Monty Carlo or Bust, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad world, the Herbie films..., I love them all. So it was a disappointment to me that after years of wanting to see Genevieve that I felt a bit underwhelmed after watching. It's dated but that is not really a very good excuse. I loved the Cars, the scenery and the views of old England. I have lived in both London and Brighton so it was great to see them both as they were in the early 50's. I just didn't find the film funny. The script is a bit amateurish, a bit simple and not particularly well written. I can only compare this film to others of the time and there are so many greats that it is unfair to purely say 'It's dated' and leave it at that. It's not a film I grew up with and I'm sure people who did would have a few things to say to me as it is a well loved classic. It's just not as good as its reputation would have you believe...in my humble opinion etc etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment