Thursday 24 April 2014

The Switch
Dir: Josh Gordon, Will Speck
2010
***
The Switch is by no means a perfect film but for a, and I hate the phrase, 'Chick Flick' or romantic comedy, I have to say it was quite refreshing. Jason Bateman can act seriously and do comedy, his style is deadpan but very subtle. I found myself laughing at things he said 5 seconds after he's said them (and that's not me being slow, at least I don't think it is). He gives the main character a certain depth that we're not used to seeing in these types of film and I thought he did very well. The idea is a little familiar and the switch itself raises a few uncomfortable questions but it is handled quite well. I liked the cameo friends of Jeff Goldblum and Juliette Lewis, both underplayed it without being dull and both were believable as real people. The premise (the secret) was withheld for the story to continue, that was all very predictable and the conclusion a little stale but the serious overtone and the fact that they didn't steep to ad libbing or cheap slapstick was a relief. I quite liked it for a Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment