Thursday 29 January 2015

Explorers
Dir: Joe Dante
1985
**
Joe Dante's Explorers is a 1980's kids classic that seems to have totally passed me by. Was this even released in the UK? Released in the summer of 85, it had some pretty tough competition so it is easy to see how it slipped under the radar for many. It starts so well, it has all the ingredients of a classic kids 80's film until it gets halfway/towards the end and then it gets spectacularly bad. Reading up on the history of the project, it seems the producers got tired of it or scared and rushed it out without it being finished - which could be blamed for it being as awful as it is but it's still no excuse for those aliens. It's the only film I can think of where I loved the first half and absolutely hated the second. It's Bizarre. Maybe forgivable if I'd seen it as a child but in 1985 but there where some pretty good films out, so I still think it wouldn't have been a favourite of mine. Interfering producers ruin yet another Joe Dante film, I do feel sorry for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment