Wednesday 28 January 2015



Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines; Or, How I Flew from London to Paris in 25 Hours 11 Minutes
Dir: Ken Annakin
1965
*****
A comedy classic, very much of its time, full of slap-stick and silly humour. The cast is brilliant too, an eclectic mix of European favourites but mainly British comedic masters. I love the story, I love the actors and the humour, Ken Annakin is a great British director, often overlooked but more than often his films are universally enjoyed without anyone knowing much about him. For me though, the only fault I have with this film is that the sequel is much better (if that is even possible), so if you liked this, please watch Monte Carlo or Bust (AKA Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies). Fans of The Great Race and It's a Mad mad mad mad World will know what I'm on about! (It also continues the fantastic partnership of Eric Sykes and Terry Thomas, both playing their characters sons). A classic and one of my all time favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment