Wednesday 28 January 2015




The Zero Theorem
Dir: Terry Gilliam
2013
*****
For the first 10 minutes of The Zero Theorem I confess I thought it looked like a poor imitation of a Terry Gilliam film, rather than a Terry Gilliam film. This was a superficial reaction, indeed, the sets and production got better and better as the film went on (I now want to live in an abandoned Church). The Zero Theorem is old school Gilliam, it is him at his best. I've heard people refer to it as the final piece of the 'Brazil Trilogy', which I have to admit it does feel like following Brazil and 12 Monkeys. The Zero Theorem could easily be part of the same universe as both Brazil and 12 Monkeys as they all search for the meaning of life (or should that be asking the question; Is there any meaning to life?) and they all have the same dystopian style, not Orwellian but Gilliamian (Gilliamish? Gilliamarian?). I think it has been woefully misunderstood so far, while it is a satire of sorts it's not the comedy people have confused it for. It's quite a serious tale, with some outrageously overlooked performances, particularly from Christoph Waltz. I'm not usually a fan of existential films but I thought Gilliam projected the idea brilliantly, with everything having a purpose - indeed, even the Church (that I want to live in) was symbolic rather than just a quirky set piece. All aspects of life, particularly modern living, were explored through the surreal and the ordinary, strip the film down to the bare essentials and it's an amazing achievement. It's a shame that the wonderful visuals seem to have distracted many, when really they really accentuate the ideas. The dumbing-down of cinema is at fault, we need more from great directors like Gilliam so long may he continue. The conclusion is one of the most wonderfully subtle endings I've seen for a very long time. Beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment