Thursday 29 January 2015


Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
Dir: Peter Weir
2003
****
2003's Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World was for me the return of the Peter Weir I love. The last Weir film I really liked was The Mosquito Coast made back in 1986. Master & Commander came out at a time were 'Epics' were rife, and the fact that Crowe had the lead role, well I thought this would be another case of 'Here we go again', thankfully I was wrong. There is so much more to this film than it just being another 'Swashbuckler', the visuals and the realism were impressive - I particularly like the fact that they had children on the ship, as they would have had at the time. I have to say though, I really can't stand Billy Boyd. Thankfully, that is probably my only criticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment