Friday 29 May 2015

Holy Smoke
Dir: Jane Campion
2000
**
Comedy dramas are ten a penny but that's not to say they're easy and always work. That's not to say you can't have dramatic moments in comedy or funny scenes in dramas but this particular film fumbles between the two in such a clumsy way that neither the drama or the comedy elements hold any weight. Jane Campion is a better writer and director than this, the performances from Kate Winslet and Harvey Keitel are fine, so I'm afraid the blame lies with her. It has been sold as a 'Sexy Satire' but I'm afraid I saw no satire and nudity doesn't automatically make something sexy in my opinion. I was thoroughly bored by the middle of the film and there was no great conclusion to make me feel I'd spent my time wisely. The direction was good but not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment