Tuesday 12 May 2015

Road House
Dir: Rowdy Herrington
1989
****
You could file Rowdy Herrington's 1989 classic under 'You could only get away with this kind of thing in the 80s'. Honestly, in the 80s you could get away with murder, even the staunchest of critics would bow down and accept that story doesn't always matter, if a film is likable enough then just go with it. It's incredibly cheesy but with a brilliant cast including Patrick Swayze, Sam Elliott and Ben Gazzara, it's impossible not to like it. As I get older I am repeat watching many of these old 80s films, it's like rediscovering and enjoying a decade all over again each time I catch up with one and every one shows me something new. It really was a decade of freedom when it came to cinema. It's sad to see such great actors pass on, Road House to me is a great reminder of a cherished decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment