Tuesday 12 May 2015

Whatever Works
Dir: Woody Allen
2009
*****
Larry David is my hero, if I didn't know better I would think he was my father and somehow there was a terrible administrative mistake back St Charlotte's Hospital in the late 70's. It is unlikely. I like Woody Allen most of the time but many of his film I've always thought were slightly ruined by the fact that he cast himself. Here we have the perfect solution, Larry David is a much better version of Woody Allen on screen then Woody Allen is (at least these days), leaving Allen to concentrate on what he does best, behind the camera. Whatever Works is funny, touching, dark, silly and has a good point. I know it is a comedy but I actually found myself agreeing with everything Boris said in the film. Watching Larry David jump out of a window has to be one of the funniest things I've seen in film for a long time. This is definitely my kind of comedy and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment