Tuesday 26 May 2015



Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
Dir: Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez
2014
***
Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez's Sin City 2 is a long time coming. Expectations were high for a sequel but it still seems strange that we had to wait 9 years, especially after the success of the first. The impact the first film had may have long gone and blue screen films made since haven't quite done the effect any favours but it still works for Sin City, indeed, it was invented for Sin City and still lends itself perfectly for the adaptation of Millers work. They needed a whole new cast, many characters had been killed off, a few actors didn't want to return and sadly a few of the actors had since passed away but I applaud all of their casting decisions. A few favorites return, which was great (Powers Booth and Mickey Rourke in particular) but the inclusion of Josh Brolin (instead of Clive Owen), Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ray Liotta and (personal favorite) Christopher Lloyd were fantastic. I wasn't as sold on Eva Green as the 'Dame to kill for' though, as her performance was far more slutty than sultry and although I applaud Miller and Rodriguez for sticking with the comics and not aiming for a lower rating, the constant flashing of her breasts was a bit tiresome. I'm a warm-blooded male, but they keep it subtle in most scenes, using shadow to their advantage, and then they do full frontal and it seems a little cheap. As good as the effects are, it does seem a little rushed and a little cheap all round, I watched the film as I would read the comic but it's not as well composed as the graphic novels are and it certainly isn't as polished. I liked it a lot but the anticipation left me a little disappointed if I'm being honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment