Wednesday 22 July 2015

Kill List
Dir: Ben Wheatley
2012
***
Absurdly over-hyped by film-folk, I can't believe Total film magazine gave it 5 stars (actually, I can). Ben Wheatley has talent and knows his stuff but I can't help but think he got this one wrong. It is full of suspense and it has it's powerful moments of uncomfortable intensity which I won't deny are very well done, it's just that in the end what you essentially have is a Brit Gangster film vs. Brit 70's horror, filmed in a Dogme style without being as good as any of that might sound. I understand the conclusion as well, I realise the situation - I just didn't think it was particularly clever and the build up only added to the feeling of being let down in the end. Michael Smiley was good though, he will always be Tyres O'Flaherty to me though.

No comments:

Post a Comment