Thursday 16 July 2015

Rebecca
Dir: Alfred Hitchcock
1940
*****
Alfred Hitchcock's adaption of Daphne du Maurier's 1938 novel Rebecca is so many films rolled into one, it's a romance, a thriller, a horror but most importantly, it's a winner. You don't need to take it from me how beautiful Hitchcock's directing is, especially his older black and white films. Rebecca is notably Hitchcock's first American project and the beginning of a new chapter in his career, undoubtedly the film that made him (although not his best in my opinion). The acting is fantastic, Florence Bates steals most of the early scenes but this is very much Joan Fontaine's film, she is glorious and I completely fell in love with her after this. I would say it was one of Hitchcock's best films but then I would put at least 9 others in the same category. I absolutely adore it.

No comments:

Post a Comment