Thursday 15 January 2015

A Story of Children and Film
Dir: Mark Cousins
2013
***
Mark Cousins' musings on the way children are portrayed in film is both poetic and indulgent. I didn't always see what he did, the film being more based on opinion rather than fact. His trip across film is quite a hypnotic one though and what seems like a simple action raises big questions. I suppose my only criticism is that it only really concentrates on the positives when a more balanced view including the negatives might have been a little more educational, but then again I'm not sure that was the plan. It reminded me of Of time in the City, a film by Terence Davies that explored the changing face of his hometown although that was based on fact and memory rather than opinion, but both use similar techniques. The inclusions of his own Niece and Nephew didn't always work with the ideas he was trying to get across but some of the issues raised are certainly worth praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment